Friday, July 18, 2008

Pittsburgh to Richmond on a Bike


We are having a conference in Richmond so I thought that instead of flying or driving a government car, I would take the opportunity to ride my bike down. After all Uncle Sam is paying. I also figured that coming back, since I would be leaving late on Sunday - that I would take my time and take two days to get home.

Seneca Rocks WV was one place that I wanted to spend time at every since I first saw it on another drive home from Richmond. That time I didn't have time to do anything other then to stop and look at the rock raising up from the ground. I didn't even have my camera. This time would be different. I not only brought my camera but camping gear also. Can't wait to do some camping and some hiking.

I left the house yesterday morning about 0730 and headed south on I79. I planned on catching I70 in Washington but a couple of things changed my mind. One was that I forgot the EZ Pass for when I70 merged with the PA Turnpike and two There were signs warning of delays on I70. That made my decision to go on down to Morgantown WV and catch I68.

There were a lot of traffic on I79 but once I got on I68 traffic was very light. The Vulcan 500 did very well and easily cruised at 75 to 80 mph and still had some left to make passes when necessary. I debated on wither to follow I70 to DC and then follow I95 south to Richmond or to take US522. The didn't care for the thought of DC traffic so took 522 and then Highway 33 to Richmond. It turned out to be a good decision. The ride was very nice but very long. It ended up taking me 9 hours to travel 400 miles. I made a few stops and took my time but by the end of my journey I was ready for the hotel and a cold beer.

One of the stops that I made was at Blue Ridge Grocery about 20 miles north of Culpeper. I passed it but turned around and went back to it. I was glad that I did. As I took off my helmet and jacket an Animal Control Officer drove up and informed me that the store was only open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but that he would go ahead and open it for me. Turns out he lives right behind the store and he's the owner/operator. I told him that I would take a pack of nabs and a bottle of pop. It was just like being at home to have someone who knew what nabs and pop is. He went around and came back with the goods but refused to accept any money. He was a very friendly guy. I highly recommend stopping by if you are ever in that parts on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Oh, and before I forget. I used 6.65 gallons of gas to travel 400 miles for a MPG average of 59.9. Not bad but still costed $29.06. Gas prices really suck.

No comments: