Saturday, October 13, 2007

Army Ten Miler

Today our team placed third in the Army Ten Miler under the category of Army Reserve Mixed. I didn't do as well as I would like but given the fact that I was unable to do any running for two months and very limited running in August I didn't lose too much time from last year. Last year I ran a 1:13 and this year I managed a 1:20:55. Not a bad race but the heat and humidity was high. I found out later that one runner died 200 yards from the finish line and that they ran out of water at the Aid Stations at Miles 4 and 6. There were reports that some runners were looking for water from discarded water cups.
This was a new kind of race for me because it was the first race where I was fully funded. The team captain who is an SJA Officer, figured out how to get MWR funding from FT Dix, NJ. They paid for everything to include: travel, rooms, entry fee, and even the pasta dinner. I could definitely get used to this. I'm trying to get him to see if he can get funding for the Marine Corps Marathon next year. I really don't like doing the ATM. If I'm going to go to DC, then I want to make it worth my time. A ten mile race is almost like a sprint. You don't really have a lot of time to enjoy it. With a marathon you can take your time and enjoy yourself more...at least during the first 15 miles.

No comments: