Wednesday, October 17, 2007

APFT

I took the Army Physical Fitness Test today. I had not planned on trying to run it very fast, just to have a nice comfortable run and come in around 14:30 or so. When I arrived to do the push-ups and sit-ups, I found out that this young Sergeant (28) was also going to be doing his test. During the last test he made it known that he wanted to beat me. He didn't but said he would next time. He also ran in the Army Ten Miler on our team (which placed third in our catagory) and beat me by 40 seconds. This time is was pay back.

We started out pretty fast, faster then I wanted to but I stayed behind him through out the first two laps. As we started the third lap he slowed down and I was able to past him. I stayed ahead of him for the rest of the two miles and I managed to come in at 13:16 and he came in at 13:46. That 30 seconds is going to cost him a lot of grief for the next six months until the next test. It feels good to beat someone 13 years younger then you.

My time had slowed down some since the last time I took it in April. I managed a 12:54 then, but I didn't do too bad because I didn't get to run as much this year as I wanted. I was out for two months with drop foot and had only recently got back to running. It is really hard to start back when you have been out for so long. The problem is now fixed and I'm looking forward to planning my races for next year.

No comments: