Sunday, October 14, 2007

Highway 33

This weekend we held an Officer Direct Commission Board for enlisted Soldiers to become Officers. We held it in Richmond VA and had a great turnout. On my way back to Pittsburgh on Sunday I decided to take what my dad always called "a wise old Indian shortcut". Leaving Richmond I followed Highway 33 all the way to Interstate 79 in West Virginia.


I was blessed with beautiful weather and beautiful scenery. Stupid me had left my camera at home. I had it in my hand before I left and then put it back thinking I wouldn't need it - never again. I had often drove parallel to the Shenandoah Skyline but had never crossed it. Highway 33 cuts right across the top of it. I didn't know what I was missing. It is a great drive and the leaves were just starting to turn. The view of the valley from the top was awesome.


As good as the drive was in Virginia it was especially good once I got into West Virginia. The rock formations at Judy Gap and Seneca Rocks were strange. I had never seen rock formations like that in the Appalachian Mountains but had seen similar ones in the Alps. I am putting both of these places on my list of places to visit again. This time I'll make sure I have my camera and plenty of time to hike some of the trails.


The wise old Indian shortcut from Richmond to Pittsburgh took me 8 hours but it was 8 hours well spent.

No comments: