Saturday, June 25, 2005

Enroute to Alaska

Day 1
713 miles
Pittsburgh - Fort McCoy WI


After about a year of planning we are finally on the way to Alaska. We plan to drive from Pittsburgh PA to Fairbanks Alaska via the Alaskan Highway.

The travelers are: my father, James; my 14 1/2 year old son, Andrew; and myself. Andrew was a little upset this morning. He's not quite the adventurous traveling type. He's been moping around and isn't talking much. Andrew wants to stay behind and try out with a Soccer Cup team with his friend. I told him that he can play soccer anytime, but this is a trip of a lifetime. I think someday he will appreciate spending three weeks with his father and grandfather while camping and driving 8,000 miles.

Today we left home with the intentions of stopping at Tacoma WI, where I have a friend there named Matt Colley. We was stationed together here in Pittsburgh before he had to PCS. He's now an instructor at the ARTEC at FT. McCoy.

We covered today's leg in 11 1/2 hours, driving 706 miles and only stopping three times. I myself drove to the WI state line which is approximately 550 miles. We meet heavy traffic coming through Chicago. We also discovered that the road from the PA Turnpike until we got onto Interstate 94 in WI was just one toll after another. In Chicago it was 80-cents every five miles or so. It got annoying very fast.

We had some problems finding Matt's house. He had emailed me the directions; however, I forgot to bring them. I printed some directions from YAHOO, unfortunate Tacoma isn't the best when it comes to posting the names of their road signs.

After passing a key turn off, we backtracked and finally found Matt's house. It was easy to spot because it had a large Pittsburgh Steelers flag on the front of his house.

We was welcomed with open arms and was treated to smoked ribs and chicken. There was plenty of beer as well. He also gave us packs of Cheese curds from WI to take with us. We had a very restful night--maybe our last for sometime-- with Dad sleeping in a bed in one room and Andrew and me sleeping in our sleeping bags in another.

No comments: