Monday, June 27, 2005

Crossing the Border

Day 3
690 Miles
1913 Total Miles
Jamestown ND - Battleford, Saskatchewan


We woke up at 0400 and by 0500 we were on the road. We went up HWY 52 and starting out it was very dark. I was following a tractor and trailer and every so ofter he would hit his brake lights for now apparent reason. The road was very straight and there was no traffic other then us. We finally figured out why he was hitting his brakes so often, there were a lot of deer by the roads. I sure was glad I was following someone because I would have hated to his a deer this early in the trip. I did hit a bird which flew into the windshield but there was no damage.

We detoured off Hwy 52 and took a scenic route at Des Lacs National Wildlife Refuge. Andrew drove about five miles on the dirt road. On the surrounding hills the local High School graduating classes color rocks white and lays them out in big letters and numbers. The earliest that we saw was the class of "57".

We crossed the border and the Candian Border Guard asked me if I had written permission from my wife to take my son into Cananda. I said, "No, but you can call her." He said that in the future we would need a notirized letter from my wife allowing me to take Andrew out of the country.

We drove to Battleford. We camped out at David Laird Campground. We went to the Fort Battleford National Historic Site where we took a tour of the fort. This was the site of fighting between Native Americans and the RCMP.

It took a little work but we managed to get the tent up. This is our first night sleeping in it but would not be our last. Dad went to sleep early and Andrew and I stayed up playing connect the dots. The prairie dogs are farting althought it smells a lot like Andrew.

No comments: