Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Stupids

Sometimes I think I have sand in my head.  Today I ran into work despite 22 degree weather, the blowing snow, and the two inches of snow already accumulated.  This isn't why I think i have sand in my head.  The reason is my choice of running shoes on a day like today.  I wore a pair of my regular road shoes and ended up slipping and sliding almost the whole way.  For some reason I left my $120 Winter Trail shoes behind.  Why, I  don't know.  I mean that is why I bought the things.  I even looked at them on my way out the door.  Just another case of the stupids.
 
The run itself was good - except for the shoes.  I was reminded of what it feels like when a big snowflake hits you in the eye.  It kinda stings.  The only big change I had to make was to be more observant of oncoming vehicles.  With slippery road conditions there is always a chance that a car may slid into you.  When I was stationed at FT Polk in 1985 we had to run no matter what the weather - rain or shine.  Then one of the Signal Companies had a car slide into their formation while they was running.  A Soldier was killed and that was the end of running in formation on FT Polk in bad weather.

 

No comments: