Friday, November 02, 2007

The Opening of Ewing Road

Good news. They have finally opened Ewing road here in Pittsburgh. In my run and bike ride into work this was the only choking point of the entire route. It was a narrow road with a very narrow shoulder. There was also a hill to climb so cars could not safely pass until they crested the hill. They closed it this summer to build a corporate park on the north side of the road. I fortunately found an suitable alternate route which turned out to be better then Ewing road ever was.

Well today I ran to work and decided to check on Ewing road. To my surprise it was open. The good news was that they had repaved and widen the road. They also put in a nice roomy shoulder. I can't wait to ride my bike on it. On top of this, this weekend we sit the clocks back. I've been waiting for this for awhile. Right now it doesn't get daylight until after 0715. Now it will be safer and I'll have more time to make it to work.

Thanks to the new road, I'm now looking forward to a good winter of training. I'm planning on doing the Bel Monte 50 miler near Waynesboro, VA and have to start training now. Hopefully the winter won't be too bad this year.

Oh and by the way, I had a great run in to work this morning. It was about 31 degrees outside and I forgot the number one rule in cold weather running - put on all the layers you think you will need and then take one off. I ran really strong but warmed up after the first 1.5 miles. I could have done without one of the two long sleeve shirts I was wearing.

No comments: