Friday, November 30, 2007

50K Fun Run

The other day I received an email from Rick Freeman who is the RD for the Laurel Highland Trail Race saying that he received my entry fee.  I guess I'm officially committed now.  I've been wanting to do this race for two years now but something always came up. Now if everything works out I'll be toeing the starting line on June 14th.  I really can't wait.
 
He also invited me participate in a 50K "Recovery" (from the Holidays) run on January 5th at Upper St. Clair's Boyce/ Mayview park just outside of Pittsburgh.  This just what I needed.  I needed something between now and the Bel Monte Endurance run in March to keep me focused on my training.  I'm really looking forward to the run.  Upper St. Clair isn't far from my house and I'd love to see what the trails are like there.  As much as I love running at RCSP it would be nice to mix it up a bit.  The run takes place on a ten mile loop with some people doing one, some two, and others all three loops.  I plan on doing three - if they don't mind waiting for me.
 
The run into work to day was very nice.  The air was a cool 24 degrees with a clear sky and very little wind.  I wore my lycra spandex long pants for the first time this winter.  I also wore my white nylon - spandex long sleeve shirt under my Brooks bright green shirt.  I also carried the larger of my two CamelBaks.  I had worn my uniform home yesterday because on Fridays is called Steeler Day and we can wear civilian clothes until the end of football season.  The only requirement is that the shirt must reflect a football team.  I carried one of my runnings suites and a grey Steeler tee shirt in my CamelBak.

I felt really good and tried to take it easy knowing that I had a 18 mile run to do tomorrow.  I've noticed that the hills are getting easier and the run isn't as hard, nor does it seem to take as long as it once did.

 



 

No comments: