Friday, December 29, 2006

Chickens

Well I haven't been running since last Wednesday. I left to go home to my Dad and Mom's house on Thursday and they came back with us on Monday. I can't go during the day because I would fell guilty about not spending time with them but I can't get up early and go because my Dad gets up at 0500 - and me - to go out and get coffee. In Galax we go to Aunt Bee's where his friends are waiting. Here in Pittsburgh we go to the nearest McDonalds where he has also made friends. As much as I love running I wouldn't trade it for the hours that I spend with my Dad over a hot cup of coffee. Anyway I guess you are wondering about the Chickens Title. Well here's my story:

My wife and I was visiting my Aunt Mary and Uncle Benny on Friday the 23rd when she mentioned that she would have to go up to my Great Uncle Reece's to move his chickens. First a little background on my Uncle Reece. He is a 88 year old bachelor farmer who has lived alone for almost 40 years since my Great Grandmother died. Below is a photo of Uncle Reece and my mother.

During those years he raised tobacco, hogs, cattle, and bees. His house is way, way back in the woods. You come off of a small two lane highway onto a dirt road which you follow for about five miles before you turn off onto another dirt road for another 5 miles. You then turn up his driveway and if you don't have a four wheel drive with enough clearance then you walk a half mile to this house. Below is a photo of his house and farm near Sparta NC.


His house is an old farm house which hasn't been painted in years. He now has a refrigerator but up to about five years ago he used a spring house. He has running water which is gravity feed into the kitchen. He is now down with emphysema and doesn't get around as good as he used to. My Mom and her sisters goes up on a regular basis to visit and help him - hence the chickens.

While at my Aunts she said that something had scared Uncle's chickens out of their house and they had roosted onto his porch. He is unable to take them back so she said that Aunt Nancy and her would go up later and do it. I said that I would help if she would do it that night. It was agreed so I went home and got my Dad who went with us. We got up there with my Uncle's four wheel drive and got ready to grab the chickens. For those of you who don't know, chickens roost at night and are easy to catch then. You just reach up and grab them around both legs and stick them into a sack. We got nine off the porch and there was two more in the barn that we had to get. My Dad had to climb up a little to grab those two. It is unbelievable how load chickens can be when you grab them. Dad says you would be load too if someone grabbed you out of bed by your feet while you were sleeping and dumped you into a sack. I guess he has a point.

When I get a chance I'll post the video.

No comments: