Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Decisions

I'm finally back from my injury. On Sunday I ran 14 miles at a pretty quick pace and felt no discomfort so I'm looking forward to a good year. Last night right after work I did a quick three with a friend of mine. It was a good run and we spent the time complaining about work. It's the best form of therapy. The weather was a warm 44 degrees and because I didn't have shorts I ran in my boxers. They turned out to be better then any running shorts that I own. I wish a company would come out with running boxers shorts. The freedom was awesome and it was probably the closest thing to running naked that you can get with out actually doing it.

My only problem is that I'm torn between two races. I'd really like to give the Laural Highlands 70 mile Trail Race a try. It is a small local race, plus it is single track trail which is my favorite. I'm also being drawn toward trying a 100 mile race. I'm looking at the Mohican 100 for a couple of reasons. Once is that it is close to Pittsburgh - compared to the others - and two I had a friend do it last year. I can't do both because they are within 1 week of each other. For enjoyment I'd rather do the LHTR but I really feel the need to test myself by doing a 100. For me, 100 miles is the Mount Everest of ultrarunning and I really can't consider myself a true ultrarunner until I crest that summit. The question is, do I do it this year or put it off another year? I really don't know. After writing this I think I've made my decision...I'm doing the LHTR. I think I would enjoy it more. The best thing about ultrarunning is competing with yourself and doing what you enjoy most, otherwise, why do it at all?

No comments: