Sunday, December 10, 2006

Old Movies

Today I really didn't want to get up and go running. It would have been really nice to just lay on the couch and watch TV. Sunday mornings is the best time for old movies and I love the old ones. Those were the days when you had to rely on story and not special effects and color. Too many movies today try to smother the audience with loud and over the top special effects to over shadow a poor story line. I love everything about old movies espicially those from the 40's and 50's. I like the way they dressed, the cars they drove, even the way they spoke.

Some of my favorites have H. Bongart in them. Two of the best one's are "They Drive By Night" , "High Sierra", and of course "The Cain Mutiny". I also like Frank Sinatra in "Suddenly" and one of my favorite movies, "From Here to Eternity

As to running, I finally dragged my lazy behind out the door and started my run. As usual I was glad that I did before I even made the first mile. It's just taking that first step out the door that's difficult. Instead of driving to the parking lot by the trail I decided to run there. It is just a tad over one mile from my house to mile marker 6. The only bad thing about running there is that there is a big hill at the very end on the way back. I ended up running to the mile marker six on the Montour Trail and then down to mile zero and back again which gave me 14 miles. I had originally planned on running a quick ten, but felt so good that I changed it to 14.

The temperature was in the mid thirties so I wore shorts with two long sleeve running shirts. It was cold at first but I warmed up by the first mile. It turned out to be a beautiful morning with very little cloud cover and wind. The run went well and I had no trouble with my knee. I ran it at a faster pace (nine minute) then I normally do for a long run. The only thing of note was that I passed a group of runners going in the opposite direction, obviously a running group.
I didn't know that there was any local running groups. I wonder who they were. I should have stopped and asked them. Next time I will.

No comments: